We have 25 guests and one member online
Submitting an Article
Members and non-members are encouraged to submit articles for publication in Generation. Over the years we have maintained a high standard of interesting and varied articles.
The editor is available to discuss initial ideas with any authors, and provide advice and guidance. Contributors should bear in mind that they are addressing a general audience.
The editor and the Society make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the journal’s contents. Any views expressed in the journal are the views of the authors, and not the views of the Society, unless attributed as such.
Quarterly publication dates and deadlines for copy
|Publication Date||Deadline for Copy|
How to present articles
Contributors are asked to follow these guidelines as much as possible. Contributors are encouraged to check everything carefully before submitting the article. Names will be printed ‘as is’ and spelling will not be checked.
- limit manuscripts to 1000 words or less
- provide a short title (six to ten words), which is informative and reflects the article’s content
- include the name of the author(s) and bibliographic references where necessary
- provide full bibliographic references for any material quoted from another publication or website
- write the article in English and only use foreign words and phrases where you give a translation or the word or phrase is well-known within genealogy or family history
- use the Macquarie dictionary to check spelling
- double space text, with bold headings and minimal capitalisation
- type your material in Word (2003, 2007 or later versions)
- number pages consecutively
- italicise the names of ships
- type surnames in sentence case, not full capitals or bold
- include years of birth and death after a person’s name if the same name is used over several generations
- minimise the use of contractions or abbreviations unless these are well known within genealogy or family history.
Photographs (colour, and black and white) and other artwork, are welcomed either to accompany a story, or for the cover.
Contributors are requested to provide copies only, either scanned and attached to an email, or in hard copy. The subject of the photograph and the copyright reference where relevant, must be clearly stated. Images will be published in black and white. No copies will be returned.
Copyright over material published in Generation lies with the Genealogical Society of Queensland, Inc., except for materials where copyright already exists and is attributed. The Genealogical Society of Queensland Inc. reserves the right to re-publish materials, either in Generation or in other forms, where it holds copyright.