We have 15 guests and no members online
I am a busy professional. Although over many years I have collected much information on my family, I do not have the time to do research or to organise this information. Since turning to GSQ I have been impressed by the professionalism of GSQ and its volunteers. I would wholeheartedly recommend GSQ to my contacts. I look forward to the results of your research on my behalf.
Dr. Paul Bartley
Wherever possible, a personal visit to our Resource Centre is recommended as the best way to further your research. However, we are able to undertake research in our collections for members or non-members who want experienced researchers to do the work for them. The research can cover small or large tasks.
GSQ financial members, living more than 100km from the Resource Centre at Fisher Street, East Brisbane, can receive up to five hours free research undertaken for them, in our collections each year.
All research is undertaken by a small team of Honorary Research Officers ― experienced members who volunteer their time, drawing on both their knowledge of genealogy and of our collections to assist with research enquiries.
GSQ contains many indexes, documents, books and finding aids, mostly related to Queensland and other states in Australia. We also have access to overseas countries data.
WE CONDUCT RESEARCH IN TWO WAYS:
- Research conducted at the GSQ Library & Resource Centre only―Cost: $25.00/hour members and $40.00/hour non-members for a minimum of 60 minutes research. This is payable in advance and is non-refundable.
- Research conducted at the following sites:
- State Library of Queensland;
- Queensland State Archives; or
- National Archives of Australia (Brisbane).
Cost: $40.00/hour members and $55.00/hour non-members for a minimum of 2 hours research. This is payable in advance and is non-refundable.
The more information you can supply the better the chance of a positive result. All research enquiries must be on the downloadable form. Click here. The form can be filled in online, saved and emailed to GSQ or printed out and mailed in to GSQ.
Other research Services
How the research service operates
What you need to do:
- Set out - preferably in typed format, but otherwise in clear writing - exactly what you require checked, stating what research has been done to date and the sources already consulted.
- The more succinct and well-ordered your enquiry, the sooner we'll be able to help you!
- Copies of certificates and documents should be attached where possible.
- A brief pedigree chart showing the family being researched will always be of assistance.
- Where enclosures or attachments are provided, enquiries should be sent by post rather than fax or email, as these often provide unsatisfactory quality.
- Send no money with your enquiry - you will be advised of any fees payable. These must be paid in Australian currency cheque, money order or bank draft, or can be charged to Visa or MasterCard online.
Members may also submit free simple research enquiries electronically - click here - you need to be logged in as a member to access this page.
What you will receive from us:
We will provide you with the result of the search undertaken on your behalf, including a list of the sources checked for you (both successfully and unsuccessfully).
All research results will be supplied electronically in PDF format. Should you require hard copies GSQ normal photocopying charges will apply.
Where appropriate we will give details of further avenues of research which you can investigate.
We cannot guarantee a result but will do our best to answer your enquiry with the resources available to us.
Further research may be advised and can be arranged.
All enquiries are answered by our volunteers in the order received. Turn-around time for research is usually 3-4 weeks. However the team is small and individual absences sometimes cause delay.