Why become a member of GSQ?
A genealogical/family history society such as GSQ offers its members a range of valuable services.When you join GSQ, you will gain access to the accumulated experience of many other researchers as well as gain access to one of Australia's best resourced family history centres. These resources cover a variety of subjects from local, national and international sources and, in some, cases will not be available anywhere else. Our experienced volunteers can point out the pitfalls, guide you to the records you need and put you in touch with others with similar interests.
Benefits of membership
- Receive a journal, Generation, 4 times a year
- Monthly eNews to keep you up to day with what is happening in the world of family history and read what other members have discovered about their ancestors
- Weekly articles on the GSQ Blog written by experienced family history researchers
- Free use of our library collections and advice and assistance from our experienced volunteers
- Access to the member's only site, MyGSQ (login required for access)
- Participation in special interest groups
- Free access to subscription websites, such as Ancestry, Find My Past (which now includes full access to the 1921 Census), MyHeritage, The Genealogist, British Newspapers Archive, Australian Biographical Database, RootsIreland, Irish Ancestors and S.O.G.
- Special member rates for GSQ events which cover a wide range of topics across the year, for example, showing you how to get the most out of Trove or engaging experienced presenters to talk about Scottish ancestry
- Access to the numerous publications in the GSQ Resource Centre, including, for example, family histories, journals and magazines from around the world, microfiche and microfilm holdings, maps, unrelated certificates
- Discounts on GSQ products via the GSQ Shop
- Limited free research service for country members
- Special rates for external research at the Queensland State Archives, National Archives of Australia (Brisbane) and the State Library of Queensland collections
- Free publication of research interests in the Member's Interest Area in MyGSQ
- Reciprocal visiting rights to the collections of other family history societies.
Membership is available either as single, family, affiliate or corporate membership. GSQ Membership is open to anyone over the age of 18 years.
Family membership is for two members of an immediate family living at the same address. Only one email address can be used for a family membership. While both members receive the same benefits as single members, they receive only one copy of the Society's journal, Generation, free of charge each quarter.
GSQ also offers discounted 3 year membership subscriptions - either single or family. In addition, new or renewing members can choose to take a lifetime subscription. For new and renewing members, life enduring membership is charged at 16 times the membership fee.
Membership subscriptions include return postage for your new membership card (only for those without an email address) or alternatively your membership card will be emailed to you.
If you choose to have the quarterly journal, Generation, posted to you, instead of emailed, you will need to purchase this subscription from the GSQ Shop.
IMPORTANT: Once your membership expires, you will no longer have access to MyGSQ. However, GSQ offers a 60 day grace period for members. If your renewal payment is made during this time, then you will not lose membership continuity as your renewal date will be backdated to your expiry date plus either 1 year or 3 years. Once your membership is renewed, then you will again have access to MyGSQ. If your renewal date is outside the 60 day grace period, then you will be considered to be a new member.
New members do not pay any joining fees. You can pay by cheque, direct deposit into GSQ's bank account, credit card or, of course, cash (but don't send cash through the mail).
To join, simply select Join Now on the Membership menu (or select Join Now on this page). Complete the online form and pay by credit card through our secure online facility. If you wish to direct deposit the fee into GSQ's account, you will still need to complete the online form. At the end of the registration process, select your preferred payment method of direct deposit and you will be given a reference number to use when making your payment via your own bank.
You can also indicate if you are paying by cheque or cash. Please note your reference number.
PLEASE NOTE that, for your membership to be confirmed, payment must have been received and cleared by GSQ.
The Society regularly sends emails to all members. We recommend that you add the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email contacts list so that our emails do not land in your junk mail box.
IMPORTANT NOTE: GSQ imposes a surcharge of 1.29% on credit card purchases paid using the Payway payment facility, which is not greater than our cost of acceptance. GSQ offers a variety of alternative payment options. These include payment by direct debit, payment by cheque, and payment via the Eftpos machine at GSQ, for which there is NO surcharge.
WHAT GSQ OFFERS
GSQ Collection & Records
Affiliate and Corporate Groups
From 01 Jan 2023
New and Existing Members Fees
No Joining Fee payable.
- Single 1 year $85
- Family 1 year $150
- Single 3 years $225
- Family 3 years $405
- Affiliate 1 year $170
- Corporate 1 year $340
- Life enduring membership $1370