Wherever possible, a personal visit to our Resource Centre is recommended as the best way to further your research. However, we can undertake research in our collections for members or non-members who want experienced researchers to do the work for them. The research can cover small or large tasks. GSQ financial members, living more than 100km from the Resource Centre at 25 Stackpole Street, Wishart 4122, can receive up to five hours free research undertaken for them, in our collections each year.
All research is undertaken by a small team of honorary Research Officers ― experienced members who volunteer their time, drawing on both their knowledge of genealogy and our collections to assist with research enquiries.
GSQ contains many indexes, documents, books and finding aids, mostly related to Queensland and other states in Australia. We also have access to overseas countries data.
We conduct research either at the GSQ Library & Resource Centre (Onsite) or at the
State Library of Queensland; Queensland State Archives; and the National Archives of Australia (Brisbane) (Offsite)
Prices as at 1st July 2021
|Research Services - Australian Clients - GST is included
|Research for Australian Members - One on One Consultation (1hr)||$22|
|Research for Australian Members - Onsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$66|
|Research for Australian Members - Offsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$110|
|Research for Australian Non Members - Onsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$110|
|Research for Australian Non Members - Offsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$176|
|Research for Australian Professional Bodies (per hour)||$110|
|Research Services - Overseas Clients - GST is not chargeable||Per Hour|
|Research for Overseas Members - Onsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$60|
|Research for Overseas Members - Offsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$100|
|Research for Overseas Non Members - Onsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$100|
|Research for Overseas Non Members - Offsite Research (Minimum of 2hrs)||$160|
|Research for Overseas Professional Bodies (per hour)||$100|
The more information you can supply the better the chance of a positive result. All research enquiries must be on the online form.
Other Research Services
Research services for other bodies, eg, Public Trustee, law firms, is available. Please contact the Research Coordinator at email@example.com
What you need to do:
- Set out - preferably in typed format, but otherwise in clear writing - exactly what you require checked, stating what research has been done to date and the sources already consulted.
- The more succinct and well-ordered your enquiry, the sooner we'll be able to help you!
- Copies of certificates and documents should be attached where possible.
- A brief pedigree chart showing the family being researched will always be of assistance.
- Provided information should be sent by email as a Word document, PDF document of medium quality or jpg image at 300dpi.
- Send no money with your enquiry - you will be advised of any fees payable. These must be paid in Australian currency cheque, money order or bank draft, or can be charged to Visa or MasterCard online.
Members may also submit free simple research enquiries electronically. You will need to be logged in as a member to access the eResearch page.
All enquiries are answered by our volunteers in the order received. Turnaround time for research is usually 3-4 weeks. However, the team is small and individual absences sometimes cause delay.