- To affer support and research assistance to all who are searching for their German ancestry.
- To encourage and exchange information in an informal setting.
- To provide guest-speakers when possible to help guide us through the maze of information available to us.
- To learn the history of Germany and immigration and why our ancestors choose to leave.
- To get to know about the German people and their cultures.
Membership to GSQ is requested, but non-members are very welcome to come along to our Group Meetings to see what we have to offer. A Gold Coin donation would be welcome. Members are welcome to contact the Secretary for advice and assistance, but remember to enclose a stamped adddressed envelope with all enquiries for those without email.
Since its inception in 1983, the German Research Group has added a collection of maps, guides, reference books and journals, plus family, local, church and school histories to the library. GSQ now holds probably the most comprehensive range of German source material in Queensland.
Bi-monthly meetings are held at the GSQ Resource Centre on the last Sunday of odd numbered months. Any changes to meeting dates are advertisied in the German Group pages of Generation and in the Group's newsletter Die Zeitung which is published to coincide with meetings and is available by mail, email or at meetings.
The Resource Centre opens at 10.30am and closes at 2.15pm. Meetings begin at 12.30pm and generally take the form of discussions, which have included archival sources that we require to coverr an areea that a member is researching, and pooling the knowledge of all present.
Newcomers are always welcome.
- Theannual fe410, this includes postage.
- Ssubscriptions begin with the first issue after payment, irrespective of the date.
- Renewal letters are sent to all subscribers.
- Email: newsletter will be sent free.
- Meetings: a copy can be purchesed for $1.
Contact the group by writing to:
The Secretary, German Research Group, Genealogical Society of Queensland, PO Box 1467, Carindale, Qld 4152.