FamilySearch's Microfilm Ordering service is your gateway to a vast collection of genealogical and historical records. The service allows you to reserve and read films at family history centres and affiliates in Australia.
The loan is free, but there is a small shipping and handling charge for each film). Films are ordered online using your credit card and you nominate the centre (eg GSQ) at which you will view the film. There is an additional viewing/handling fee payable to GSQ when you view your films.
When the films arrive you will be notified by phone and/or email.
- Sign up for a free account at FamilySearch.org
- Locate the microfilm number(s) you want to order from the Family History Library Catalog located on FamilySearch.org. Note: Before ordering any film, check with the local family history centre to ensure that the film is not already available at that location.
- Select your loan type, enter the microfilm number, and click Search.
- Repeat this step for additional items.
When you are ready to submit your loan order, click the shopping cart in the upper right portion of the screen. You will then have a chance to review and confirm your order.
Ordering from GSQ
If these options are not available to you, we can order on your behalf but there will be an additional $5.50 handling fee. Films may be ordered at GSQ.
- Users view the LDS catalogue (available at GSQ and on the Internet via www.familysearch.org) to identify the film(s) of interest, enter the necessary information on the appropriate form, and pay a fee of $13.25 per film.
- Please enter film number carefully as there will be no refund for errors.
- When the films are received the member will be advised by phone (local calls only) or email. Note that they may be viewed only in the GSQ Resource Centre.
- Films will be held at GSQ for up to 60 days then returned.
- While there is no official limit to the number of films which may be ordered at one time please be mindful that they may all arrive at the same time and there may be insufficient time to view them.
The LDS Centre in Sydney closes over the Christmas/New Year period and final film orders for the year are usually posted at the end of October or beginning of November each year. Check at GSQ for relevant dates.
Further details on this service are available at the Society and assistance will be provided with locating film/fiche numbers if required. You can search for the appropriate film number at the LDS Library Catalogue on the familysearch.org website.
This film distribution license applies to the Society’s Wishart Resource Centre only and not through its Branches.